Polyphon Musikwerke was established by Gustave Brachhausen in 1887 in Leipzig, Germany. It was the world's largest manufacturer of disc music boxes; the period of greatest popularity was from 1895-1905. At one time the company employed over 1,000 people. In later years, it sold mechanical pianos, pneumatically-played pianos, and other musical automates, and also phonographs and records. The Company assisted in establishing the U.S "Regina Music Box Company".
In Germany the company began issuing grammophone records from the very early days of their appearance, even before 1905. In England the first Polyphon records appeared in 1910. The “Grammophone World” magazine informed: “The Polyphon Company from Leipzig hesitates to produce Russian records”, however it followed by announce that Polyphon began Russian recordings. Russian records “Polyphon” are very rare.
After the WWI (or during it) Polyphon Company merged with German concern "Polydor" – “Deutsche Grammophon A.-G.”.