Home>Latest Comments

Found: 22038 comment(s) on 2204 page(s). Displayed: comment 21891 to 21900.
««  Previous  ...  2188  2189  [2190]  2191  2192  ...  Next  »»   Go to page:

Oj ne shumi luzhe, zelenyj bajrache | xprmental |  | 19.03.2008 09:55

1907
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | sobinovv |  | 18.03.2008 16:21
Re: The translation

Bernikov wrote:

Alan Kelly is participant on our website, you may try to contact him directly and ask for more information. Please let me know if any problems I know that he recently moved to a new location, I hope that his e-mail is still valid.

The following Wikipedia article explains meaning of "old style" and "new style" better than I could do. In Russia, the introduction of "new style" has happened on February 14, 1918.

Best regards,
Yuri.

Great additional info! I will contact Mr.Kelly asking him for further information.

The Wikipedia article covers my request exhaustively! Thanks for the hint.

Stephan
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | bernikov |  | 18.03.2008 16:12
Re: The translation

You are very welcome! There is one important thing that I forgot to mention in my previous message. According to Alan Kelly, Darbys 1899 recording session in St.-Petersburg was initiated by direct Emile Berliners order and performed in kind of secrecy from the London main office. I think, it may explain why originally there were no Angel logos on that records, so later they had to stamp them on. Apparently, they reconciled this offence soon after, but it may also explain why Mr. Petts is reluctant to admit it.

Best regards,
Yuri.
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | sobinovv |  | 18.03.2008 15:30
Re: The translation

Bernikov wrote:
There are no doubts about correctness of the translation. And this date is consistent with information from Alan Kelly catalog.

The records were made by Sinkler Darby. Following is quote from Alan Kelly's introduction to his catalog:

"Darby reached St Petersburg from Berlin on March 30th and negotiated sales terms and a contract between Joseph Berliner and certain dealers
...
On 10th April (New Style), Darby made his first experimental recording which was not successful, as were several more the next day. Things thereafter improved although he had trouble with his materials and difficulties in getting singers willing to make records. However, by the time the session ended on May 10th (April 25th OS) he had succeeded in producing some 243 successful discs in four weeks."

Thank you very much Yuri. I always thought the famous European recording tour started in Leipzig, Germany, taking place between 17 May and 27 May, 1899.

My doubts were further caused by another source: "After an abortive journey to Russia, where no recordings were made, Fred Gaisberg and Sinkler Darby found themselves in Buda-Pest at the beginning of June. ... The Recording Experts left Buda-Pest on June 15th ... (Leonard Petts, Berliners Compact Disc, Emile Berliners Gramophone The Earliest Discs 1888-1901, in: The Hillandale News, London, December 1988, No. 165, p. 117)

You surely know that Mr. Petts was head of EMI archive for a long time and had access to all sources.

Could you possibly copy me all of Kelly's introduction, as far as the first Russian recordings of April/May 1899 are concerned.

Excusing my ignorance, what does "old style" and "new style" mean in the date format?

Stephan
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | bernikov |  | 18.03.2008 14:14
Re: The translation

...
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | sobinovv |  | 18.03.2008 13:28
Re: The translation

Bernikov wrote:
". 13 . 1899 .-" is translated as "Recorded at 13 of April 1899 in St.-Petersburg"

Yuri

Are you sure it reads April - and not August 1899? I have never heard of such an early Russian recording tour!
That label is truely remarkable.

Stephan
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | bernikov |  | 18.03.2008 12:35
The translation

Yuri
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | sobinovv |  | 18.03.2008 12:00
Astonishing label

I am completely astonished about that Russian Berliner label. After the Gramophone Co. numbering system, the catalogue nr. 20089 should defer to a "Band" recording.

The cyrillic "E.Berliner's Grammophon" stamp is also new to me. Could someone please translate and explain the second line: ". 13 . 1899 .-" I expect that 13. Aug. 1899 is the recording date, isn't it?

In case that record is for sale please contact me.

Stephan
La Mattchiche | bernikov |  | 14.03.2008 21:15
Thank you!

I have corrected the title, and the composer name.
Petite Tonkinoise | Nahon |  | 14.03.2008 15:32
title

This is the french tune called "Petite Tonkinoise" by Henri Christiné and Vincent Scotto. The title means 'little girl from Vietnam'. This tune has been sang by Josephine Baker among others.
««  Previous  ...  2188  2189  [2190]  2191  2192  ...  Next  »»   Go to page: