Home>Latest Comments

Found: 24991 comment(s) on 2500 page(s). Displayed: comment 24751 to 24760.
««  Previous  ...  2474  2475  [2476]  2477  2478  ...  Next  »»   Go to page:

Finding Dzhulynka | bernikov |  | 20.10.2008 18:05
Dear Andrey!

The movie can be bought on DVD or downloaded at this link
Finding Dzhulynka | garfield |  | 20.10.2008 17:21
Dear Admin

Dear Admin!
How to download this movie?
he Art of Feodor Shalyapin | Howard |  | 18.10.2008 14:58
Second Edition

A second Melodiya edition was issued, apparently in 1980, which contained 10 LP records. It provided two supplementary records which contained 23 additional selections, chiefly folk song recordings from 1907 to 1928. It also provided separate booklets in English and in Russian.
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | bernikov |  | 12.10.2008 12:36
Re: 1899 misspelling 'Grammofn'

Adamson wrote:

[No luck with getting a readable scan of that 7-inch red G&T label, as the lettering is too decayed, and the effect is of greenish brown on, er, reddish brown -- will have to resort to digital trickery, when I have some time :]
Peter

Hi Peter,
I am quite skillful in digital restoring. If you send me the raw material at yuri.bernikov@russian-records.com I can try to make it readable. For better result the scan should be taken with 300dpi resolution (or more) and stored preferably in TIFF or any other lossless format.
Thanks,
Yuri.
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | Adamson |  | 12.10.2008 11:52
1899 misspelling 'Grammofn'

here's a repeat, as it seems to have been missed the first time around

Adamson wrote:
Howard wrote:
Adamson wrote:

There is (at least) one other design of heading on these discs ("E.Berliner's..." etc. in Russian). It has a spelling mistake: "Grammofn" with the final "o" missing!

Peter

Peter, would you please identify the discthat has the spelling error "Grammofn"?

Very briefly: the one I have seen (presumably the first design?) is:

20023: In my soul (Wrangel): Oreshkevich
[= Polish tenor, Teodor Orzeszkiewicz]
dated 2 April 1899 [Old Style]

Peter
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | sobinovv |  | 11.10.2008 20:20
Re: Further notes (from a new member)

Howard wrote:
Stephan, I live in Baltimore, Maryland, some 3500 miles from the EMI archives. I am in my ninth decade and a bit weary of travelling. I do my research on the basis of what I see in front of me, mainly the records in my own possessions and such images of related items as may come to hand. Do you have any other suggestions?

Howard

I can perfectly understand your situation now. The only possible solution is to urge EMI to start publishing their holdings in digital form.
Stephan
Gramophone Company Sleeve | Howard |  | 11.10.2008 17:49
Berliner dates and details

Howard
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | sobinovv |  | 11.10.2008 01:09
Re: Further notes (from a new member)

Howard wrote:

Howard, as a serious researcher it will be best if you visit the EMI archive yourself. The answer to all of your questions is stored there. I will then be very interested to read about your findings.
Stephan
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | Howard |  | 10.10.2008 19:51
Re: Further notes (from a new member)

sobinovv wrote:
Howard wrote:

Peter, you never answered the last request. You also said elsewhere that "Angels were added to London recordings." Which London recordings, and what are the dates, and when were they added? And lastly how can one tell an "added" angel for a normally used angel?

I would like to answer your questions in Peter's own words:
The famous recording angel trademark did not appear until the end of September 1898; the earlier discs carry it only when in the catalogue long enough for it to be added retrospectively (as a raised-embossed, rather than etched, figure). (Peter Adamson, The First London Disc Recordings, in: Hillandale News No. 207, December 1995, Note 36, p. 422)

Thank you for the reply. It does pay to read the fine print, not to mention the footnotes! I have some 26 Berliners, dating from 20 Sep 1898, with no Angel, through some time in 1902, all with Angels. The only raised ones are in July 1900 and following March 1901, with two engraved in August and November 1900. How does one account for that? I am going back now andidentifying the various E. Berliner's GRAMOPHONE logos.
Lensky's arioso - I Love you, Olga | sobinovv |  | 10.10.2008 09:57
Re: Further notes (from a new member)

Howard wrote: