Home>Latest Comments

Found: 30176 comment(s) on 3018 page(s). Displayed: comment 30031 to 30040.
««  Previous  ...  3002  3003  [3004]  3005  3006  ...  Next  »»   Go to page:

AuthorComment
Yuri Bernikov (bernikov)
Admin

Re: The translation

You are very welcome! There is one important thing that I forgot to mention in my previous message. According to Alan Kelly, Darbys 1899 recording session in St.-Petersburg was initiated by direct Emile Berliners order and performed in kind of secrecy from the London main office. I think, it may explain why originally there were no Angel logos on that records, so later they had to stamp them on. Apparently, they reconciled this offence soon after, but it may also explain why Mr. Petts is reluctant to admit it.

Alan Kelly is participant on our website, you may try to contact him directly and ask for more information. Please let me know if any problems I know that he recently moved to a new location, I hope that his e-mail is still valid.

The following Wikipedia article explains meaning of "old style" and "new style" better than I could do. In Russia, the introduction of "new style" has happened on February 14, 1918.

Best regards,
Yuri.

18.03.2008 20:12
E.Berliner Gramophone | Lenskys arioso - I Love you, Olga ( - , ) (Opera Eugene Onegin, act 1) (Golovko)
Stephan Stephan (sobinovv)
Expert

Re: The translation

Bernikov wrote:
There are no doubts about correctness of the translation. And this date is consistent with information from Alan Kelly catalog.

The records were made by Sinkler Darby. Following is quote from Alan Kelly's introduction to his catalog:

"Darby reached St Petersburg from Berlin on March 30th and negotiated sales terms and a contract between Joseph Berliner and certain dealers
...
On 10th April (New Style), Darby made his first experimental recording which was not successful, as were several more the next day. Things thereafter improved although he had trouble with his materials and difficulties in getting singers willing to make records. However, by the time the session ended on May 10th (April 25th OS) he had succeeded in producing some 243 successful discs in four weeks."

Thank you very much Yuri. I always thought the famous European recording tour started in Leipzig, Germany, taking place between 17 May and 27 May, 1899.

My doubts were further caused by another source: "After an abortive journey to Russia, where no recordings were made, Fred Gaisberg and Sinkler Darby found themselves in Buda-Pest at the beginning of June. ... The Recording Experts left Buda-Pest on June 15th ... (Leonard Petts, Berliners Compact Disc, Emile Berliners Gramophone The Earliest Discs 1888-1901, in: The Hillandale News, London, December 1988, No. 165, p. 117)

You surely know that Mr. Petts was head of EMI archive for a long time and had access to all sources.

Could you possibly copy me all of Kelly's introduction, as far as the first Russian recordings of April/May 1899 are concerned.

Excusing my ignorance, what does "old style" and "new style" mean in the date format?

Stephan

18.03.2008 19:30
Yuri Bernikov (bernikov)
Admin

Re: The translation

...

18.03.2008 18:14
Stephan Stephan (sobinovv)
Expert

Re: The translation

Bernikov wrote:
". 13 . 1899 .-" is translated as "Recorded at 13 of April 1899 in St.-Petersburg"

Yuri

Are you sure it reads April - and not August 1899? I have never heard of such an early Russian recording tour!
That label is truely remarkable.

Stephan

18.03.2008 17:28
Yuri Bernikov (bernikov)
Admin

The translation

Yuri

18.03.2008 16:35
Stephan Stephan (sobinovv)
Expert

Astonishing label

I am completely astonished about that Russian Berliner label. After the Gramophone Co. numbering system, the catalogue nr. 20089 should defer to a "Band" recording.

The cyrillic "E.Berliner's Grammophon" stamp is also new to me. Could someone please translate and explain the second line: ". 13 . 1899 .-" I expect that 13. Aug. 1899 is the recording date, isn't it?

In case that record is for sale please contact me.

Stephan

18.03.2008 16:00
Yuri Bernikov (bernikov)
Admin

Thank you!

I have corrected the title, and the composer name.

15.03.2008 01:15
International Zonophone | La Mattchiche (Scheglakov)
Peter Nahon (Nahon)
Expert

title

This is the french tune called "Petite Tonkinoise" by Henri Christiné and Vincent Scotto. The title means 'little girl from Vietnam'. This tune has been sang by Josephine Baker among others.

14.03.2008 19:32
International Zonophone | Petite Tonkinoise (Scheglakov)
Peter Nahon (Nahon)
Expert

title

This is the french popular song called "La Mattchiche" (from portuguese word "maxix").
When searching for "mattchiche" on Google many results are displayed.

14.03.2008 19:29
International Zonophone | La Mattchiche (Scheglakov)
Yuri Bernikov (bernikov)
Admin

Bogemsky or Vavich?

Who is singing D.A.Bogemsky or M.I.Vavich?

From one hand it is apparent that sings Vavich it is his voice, there is M.I. initials on the label.
However, in Alan Kelly's catalog stated that is was Bogemsky. To be precise, there are two numbers:

X-2-62543 (14977b) Bogemsky
X-2-62543X (14977½b) not defined

Lets try chronologically list all recordings of October 14, 1910 as well as day before and day after it. All of them were performed by Fred Gaisberg during his St.-Petersburg session from September 12, 1910 to October 28, 1910.

October 13, 1910:

Thia day ended by number of recordings of E.E.Vitting, the last matrix number was 14971b. Neither Vavich nor Bogemsky were recording at this day.

October 14, 1910:

14972b to 14975b the day had begun with S.Popov (violin solo)
14976b G.Piorkovsky (violin solo)
14977b and 14977½b the questionable numbers of On the hills of Manchuria
14978b Own Zonophone Orchestra
14979b to 14982b four numbers of male chores of A.V.Belyanin
14983b - S.Popov
14984b - S.Popov, Sari Vandish (violin and harp duet)
14985b - The death of an aviator by D.A.Bogemsky. No one would question that this is really him,
14986b - Sari Vandish (harp solo)
14987b, 14988b S.Popov, Sari Vandish (violin and harp duet) that was the end of the day.

It looks like Vavich was not in the studio at this and the number was really recorded by Bogemsky! However, lets take a look at the next day

October 15, 1910:

14989b, 14990b V.M.Shuvalova, N.F.Monakhov
14991b M.I.Vavich (Zigeunerliebe: I Am Old)
14992b V.M.Shuvalova
14993b V.M.Shuvalova, N.F.Monakhov, M.I.Vavich
14994b A.G.Pekarskaya, N.F.Monakhov
14995b A.G.Pekarskaya, V.A.Sabinin
14996b A.G.Pekarskaya, V.A.Sabinin, M.I.Vavich

So, the question is still open. If it was Vavich then why only his initials are indicated on the record? No of respectful artist would allow such offence, for instance Patti and Melba requested from the Gramophone Company a special labels for them, and as we know their requests were satisfied!

07.03.2008 17:36
Zonophone (Gramophone, straight inscription) | On the hills of Manchuria ( ) (Scheglakov)
««  Previous  ...  3002  3003  [3004]  3005  3006  ...  Next  »»   Go to page: